Naughty Dog did however release a very exclusive beta demo of The Last of Us singleplayer, which was pretty much exclusive to only larger gaming networks, and within the code of this demo was found some pretty interesting details about The Last of Us multiplayer. These details suggest that the multiplayer will be very similar to the Arma 2: DayZ Mod, which if you don't already know, is a highly popular zombie apocalypse style game. If you'd like, you can check out the full code from the demo here, however we have a nice breakdown for you courtesy of Gamespot's Tonitorsi right here.
The Last of Us - Summary of leaked multiplayer details
- New feature called "Clans"
- The clan-based system and recruiting is essential to survive hordes of infected (possibly AI or player based clans)
- Possibly free-roam / Big open maps
- You can Craft weapons / Items in Multiplayer from all the supplies you gather
- The Multiplayer has certain random events (sort of like RDR) that happen in your playthrough. Some of which can threaten or help your clan
- The Multiplayer has mini-missions structured for you like surviving a certain amount of time, etc
- You can train Clan members (in what way, is still not clear)
- Depending on how well you train your clan members, you can do rescue missions to free hostages taken during the outbreak
- You'll need to gather supplies to survive (you clan can gather supplies too to be well equipped)
- You can aquire medicines / antibiotics from looting dead bodies throughout your playthrough
- You have 3 matches to complete a Mission (how this works its still unclear)
- Uncharted 3-like, Loadouts makes a comeback
- Character Customization possibly back too list of usable items for crafting/weapons for MP (This is a bit Spoiler-ish, so be careful)
- Crouching makes you more accurate by reducing weapon sway
- Mission performance determines how many people you gain or lose
- Mission performance also determines how many One-Use Boosters you earn
- You can spawn next to your teammates
- Boosters are back from UC3, but completely redisigned and works in a colossally different way (non-spammable and some are one-time use)
- There might be certain parts of the maps that are contaminated with viruses, you'll need to search/loot for masks or risk getting infected
- Your teammates / Clan members can get infected
Please keep in mind that these details are not 100% confirmed, and we won't know anything until it's announced officially by The Last of Us developers. However, if Naughty Dog can pull of a DayZ style multiplayer for PS3, I have a feeling The Last of Us is going to be, by far, the game of Summer 2013.